I love cupcakes. Any excuse to make a batch is more than welcomed. St Patty's day is no exception. As I had to work all weekend, I thought it'd be nice to bring some green cupcakes along.. I took this cupcake recipe and this frosting recipe (and dyed it green) and this is what I came up with:
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa, sifted
1 cup hot water
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup heavy cream
1. In a medium bowl, mix the sifted cocoa powder with the hot water until completely dissolved
2. Add the buttermilk to cool the mixture down, then add the sugar. Again, mix until dissolved.
3. Mix in the eggs, oil and vanilla.
4. In a small bowl mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Whisk this into the wet mixture until all lumps are gone.
5. Stir in heavy cream.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 18-22 minutes.
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 Tbsp heavy cream
1/4-1/2 tsp mint extract
2 cups powdered sugar
1. Beat butter until whipped and creamy, then add cream and mint extract.
2. On low speed, slowly add the powdered sugar. Be sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl often. If it isn't minty enough add more mint extract!
3. Frost your cupcakes after they've cooled completely! You can pop them in the fridge for 30 minutes if needed. I added mini chocolate chips for garnish!